Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My Family Heirloom

Tonight I was over at my parents' house, and my dad handed me this family heirloom:
This was my great grandmother's. Her name was Beatrice, she kept a spittoon under rocking chair, and she used to take me to the local grocery store to get Moon Pies.
Now, you may be wondering what in the world this is. Well, it is a printed extra long revival sermon explaining very clearly that alcohol is the tool of the devil.
Here are some excerpts I have stumbled across in my first five minutes of reading:

"The booze business is the best friend the devil has, and it is the greatest enemy the Lord has. A booze seller has locked arms with the devil... booze lies in wait for the unborn. Booze is a killer and a liar.
Yes, BOOZE IS THE BEST FRIEND THE DEVIL HAS ON EARTH."

[In response to a Pub owner saying that he sells alcohol legally and does not tolerate drunkenness in his establishment. He sells only to "decent people."]
"'Friend,' replied a Quaker, 'that is the most damnable part of thy business. If thee would sell to drunkards and loafers, thee would help to kill off that race and society would be rid of them.'"

"The booze crowd lives in the most fashionable houses in town.
The booze crowd rides in the finest cars in town.
The booze crowd sits back in their easy chairs while their patrons sweat.
The booze crowd wears the finest clothes in town.
The booze crowd eats the finest steaks.
The booze crowd's little children wear nice little warm sweaters and shoes.
...I MUST SAY JUST ONE MORE TIME- WINE IS A MOCKER!"

You can't make this stuff up.

1 comment:

Joe said...

OMG! How do you come across this stuff! I think you should frame this and put mount it in your winery!