Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My provost

So the OUHSC provost, while in the process of developing a swine influenza task force for the zero swine influenza in Oklahoma, sent out an email to the entire OUHSC community which included the following list "basic personal steps" to stop flu transmission:
1. Wash your hands thoroughly and often with soap and warm water for 15 to 20 seconds, especially after you cough or sneeze.
2. When soap and water are not available, alcohol-based hand gels are effective.
3. Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, and throw the used tissue in the trash. If you don’t have a tissue, cover your cough or sneeze with your shirt sleeve.
4. Suspend courtesy hand-shakes and kisses for the time being.
5. Avoid touching you eyes, nose or mouth. Try not to touch surfaces that may be contaminated with the virus.
6. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
7. If you get sick with flu, stay home from work or school and limit contact with others

So now I can no longer give my patients courtesy kisses, nor can I touch my eyes, nose, or mouth. I must also be careful not to touch any surfaces that could have the virus on it- not a problem in a hospital. And my personal favorite, I, as a consciousness medical professional, need to avoid close contact with sick people.

Did I mention there are no documented cases of the swine flu in Oklahoma?

1 comment:

Jen said...

Ha!! I know exactly what you mean - Pepperdine is sending out e-mails pretty much every hour reminding us to wash our hands after we go potty....until then I had no idea that you were supposed to! :)